Posted on behalf of the Department of Psychiatry, BC Children’s Hospital. For details, contact Meriam Yacoub at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-875-2000 extension 4730.
The Department of Psychiatry at BC Children's Hospital is pleased to announce the availability of two 1-year funded clinical research or research fellowships in child, adolescent or reproductive mental health. Areas of focus may include, but are not limited to: pediatric neuropsychiatry, obsessive-compulsive disorder, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, somatoform disorders, eating disorders or combined reproductive and infant mental health. Moreover, fellowships may be primarily research, or a combination of both research and clinical exposure.
Details regarding training opportunities specific to different programs will become available in mid-January 2017.
Outstanding and highly motivated candidates at the PhD or MD level are encouraged to apply. The Clinical Research or Research Fellow will participate in clinical and/or neuroscience research pertaining to child mental health, in addition to related potential teaching and clinical activities as agreed upon with the Director of Child Psychiatry Postgraduate Research Training and the Director of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Research at BC Children's Hospital.
The fellow will be encouraged to attend grand rounds and lectures at BC Children's Hospital, including those hosted by Psychology and Psychiatry Departments. The fellow will also be encouraged to attend seminars at BC Children's Hospital Research Institute and to become active members of the research institute's Brain, Behaviour and Development Research Theme
Successful candidates must have:
- A medical degree and successful completion of a Psychiatry Residency Training Program and/or a PhD in mental health or neuroscience related fields
- Strong commitment to ethical practice, high personal standards of behaviour and accountability to his/her profession
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; Clinical Research Fellows must demonstrate a fluent command of written and spoken English
- Eligibility for registration and licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia (for clinical fellowships)
- Demonstrated interest and proficiency in conducting research studies
Interested applicants may submit applications from February 1 to March 31, 2017.
All interested applicants should forward the following documents to Meriam Yacoub in Postgraduate Child Psychiatry Training at BC Children's Hospital:
- An updated curriculum vitae.
- Applicants must meet the current English language proficiency requirements of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC. If language proficiency requirements are not met, examination results must be provided.
- Two letters of reference from supervisors. Each letter should be sent directly by the referee to the Director of Postgraduate Child Psychiatry Training and include a statement indicating the applicant will not know its contents.
- One letter of standing from the current or past Director of Psychiatry Training that includes a statement of overall standing in training (for clinical fellowships).
- One letter of intent. The letter should be two pages in length at most, and clearly state why the applicant wishes to train in Child, Adolescent or Reproductive Mental Health, and at our training site in particular. It should also clearly outline specific goals of the proposed training experience.
Please address applications to:
Dr. Anna Kalenchuk, MD, FRCPC
Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist
Clinical Instructor, Department of Psychiatry, University of British Columbia
BC Children’s Hospital, Mental Health Building
P2-213, 4500 Oak Street
Vancouver, BC V6H 3N1
Phone: 604-875-2345 ext. 5599
Research and Clinical/Research Fellowships
Dr. S. Evelyn Stewart, MD, FRCPC
Associate Professor, University of British Columbia
Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist and Researcher
Director of Research for Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at BC Children’s Hospital
A3-121, 950 W 28th Ave, Vancouver, BC V5Z 4H4
Phone: 604-875-2000 ext. 4725
Mental Health Research Coordinator
Brain, Behaviour and Development Research Theme
BC Children’s Hospital, Research Institute
A3-120, 3rd floor - 938 West 28th Ave.
Vancouver, BC V5Z 4H4
Telephone: 604-875-2000 ext. 4730