The next Research Open House is scheduled for Monday, March 4 from 8:30 am to 1:00 pm at the BC Children's Hospital Research Institute.
Tentative 2019 Agenda:
- 8:45 am - Student registration at the BC Children's Hospital Research Institute
- 9:30 am - Short research presentations on a variety of topics
- 10:15 am - Students will be assigned to smaller groups and have the opportunity to visit and interact with three different research teams on the Oak Street Campus. Due to the large number of participants, students will NOT have the opportunity to select activities. Activities will be randomly assigned.
The 2018 activities included:
- Using blood to understand immune responses in premature babies
- Using fruit flies to understand how our body deals with environmental stress
- Wheat DNA extraction experiment
- Determining protein concentration using colorimetric assay
- An exploration of clinical research in pediatric orthopaedic surgery
- Biomedical signal analysis
- Using next-generation sequencing to diagnosis rare disease
- DNA jigsaws: genomic research using your laptop
- The proof is in your DNA: Paternity testing using gel electrophoresis
- Growth factor regulation of metastatic properties of high-risk endometrial cancers
- Natural killer cells in pregnancy: friends or foes?
- Blood components
- Participating in vaccine research – the research process for a visit from start to finish
- Determining energy requirements in humans
- Tools for determining body composition
- 12:00 pm - Student reception **Boxed lunches will be provided. Students with any food allergies or dietary restrictions are encouraged to bring their own lunch**
A detailed agenda will be available closer to the date.