Congratulations to the BC Children's Hospital Researchers who were recently awarded grants from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) through the 2016 Project Grant competition.
- Dr. Elizabeth Conibear, Project: "Regulation of retromer in health and disease" $741,565 / 5 years.
- Dr. William Gibson, Project: "Insights from Rare Overgrowth Syndromes for Common Diseases," $275,220 / 3 years.
- Dr. William Gibson, Project: "Regulation of islet cell proliferation by p300," $244,640 / 3 years. Co-Investigator: Chi Kin Wong.
- Dr. Matthias Görges, Project: "VitalPAD: an intelligent monitoring and communication device to optimize safety in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit," $100,000 / 1 year. Co-investigators: Dr. Mark Ansermino, Dr. Guy Dumont, Dr. Peter Skippen and Dr. David Wensley.
- Dr. Michael Kobor (Co-principal investigator with Dr. David Rehkopf), Project: "Epigenetic Signatures of Successful Aging," $1,097,060 / 5 years. Co-Investigators: Lisa McEwen and Dr. Sara Mostafavi.
- Dr. Tobias Kollmann (Co-principal investigator with Dr. William Mohn and Dr. Pedro Dimitriu), Project: "Systemic immunity: the missing link between gut microbiome and asthma," $947,980 / 5 years. Co-investigators: Nelly Amenyogbe and Dr. Stuart Turvey.
- Dr. Louise Mâsse, Project: "Impact of transitioning to secondary schools on behaviours associated with obesity and academic-related outcomes: An ecological perspective with an integrated mixed-method approach," $100,000 / 1 year. Co-investigator: Dr. Rollin Brant.
- Dr. Catherine Pallen, Project: "PTP Alpha in Normal and Tumor Cell Motility," $718,631 / 5 years.
- Dr. Rod Rassekh (Co-principal investigator with Dr. Shyh-Dar Li), Project: "Development of child-friendly oral formulations for drugs used in the maintenance therapy of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia," $344,025 / 3 years. Co-investigator: Dr. Gregor Reid.
- Dr. Glen Tibbits, Project: "Familial hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: etiology involving troponin mutations," $940,335 / 5 years.
- Dr. Bruce Vallance, Project: "Colonic Goblet Cells: Active Players in Host Defense and Mucosal Protection?" $210,000 / year for 5 years.
- Dr. Suzanne Vercauteren (Co-investigator with Principal investigator: Dr. Kimberlyn Mcgrail), Project: "Filling the void: Public engagement around a new model for access to research resources," $405,185 / 3 years.
The Research & Technology Development Office (RTDO) team provided expertise and support to many of the investigators who applied for these grants. Thank you to Dr. Dawn McArthur, Dr. Tamara English, Amber Hui, Rita Jekabsons and Gillian Guest for their tireless commitment to the BC Children's Hospital research community.