BC Children's Hospital Research Institute conducts discovery, translational and clinical research to benefit the health of children and their families.
Science making miracles. We passionately pursue discovery, knowing our achievements have the capacity to transform lives.
We work in an environment that values:
Our Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI)
The below is a statement from the Oak Street Campus EDI Community of Practice, representing BC Children’s Hospital Research Institute, the Women’s Health Research Institute, and the BC Mental Health and Substance Use Services Research Institute.
Equity, diversity, and inclusion are more than just words for us. We take these concepts seriously and are committed to putting EDI principles and values into action. Our goals are to build a membership across the research institutes that reflects the larger community, and ensure that all members are respected, valued, and celebrated.
We strive to put EDI principles and values into action by:
- situating EDI as a foundational building block underlying all of our organizational goals
- welcoming and including a diversity of perspectives and lived experiences in our research, administrative, and clinical teams
- acknowledging that inclusion is a process that must be intentional and ongoing
- challenging traditional power structures and the frameworks and foundations that keep them in place, when possible
- acknowledging that we can only achieve organizational and research excellence by embracing diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and lived experiences
- building a framework that encourages equity in research design
- facilitating ongoing EDI-related training for researchers, trainees, and staff — led by diverse speakers, educators, and experts
Our EDI Community of Practice is just the beginning. We are continually evolving and growing together in this space, and will update this page to reflect what we learn.