Scientists have developed a molecular “clock” that could reshape how pediatricians measure and monitor childhood growth and potentially allow for an earlier diagnosis of life-altering development disorders. The research, published this week in PNAS, describes how the addition of chemical tags to DNA over time can potentially be used to screen for developmental differences and health problems in children.
Mini Med School is Coming to Interior BC!
Each year this travelling program gives participants the opportunity to engage with world-class researchers and clinicians. Hosted by the BC Children’s Hospital Research Institute this popular program uses big ideas, big discoveries and big names to engage high school students, teachers and the general public in learning and discussion about health research topics.
At Mini Med School Kamloops & Williams Lake, students will learn about the latest in biomedical and clinical research through lectures with live demonstrations and hands on experience that inspire and motivate further learning.
What should participants expect?
- Investigation into timely topics, cutting-edge approaches, novel technologies and new research findings
- Interaction with world-class scientists and health professionals
- Exploration into health research career opportunities
- To leave informed, engaged and excited about research!
What else do I need to know?
- The Mini Med School curriculum is designed for students in grade 10-12 but a limited number of seats are reserved for the public each year
- Admission is free but space is limited
- Attendees will be encouraged to participate in supervised clinical activities and should be comfortable around a variety of samples and specimens found in a clinical laboratory environment
In 2017, Mini Med School expanded beyond the Lower Mainland for the first time to Terrace. 100 students from northern BC took part in this award-winning science education program. In 2018, Mini Med School was held in Fort St. John. Mini Med School faculty are excited to be travelling to Kamloops & Williams Lake in 2019. Where to next? Mini Med School will be on the road for years to come!