Each year, approximately 17 studentships are given to top ranked students based on scholarly achievement, scientific merit of the proposed project, and the potential benefits applicants will gain from the experience.
Funding is provided for an optional 8, 10 or 12-week period between May and August. Students receive a stipend of $6,000 for 12 weeks, $5,000 for 10 weeks and $4,000 for 8 weeks.
- Eligibility Criteria
For full eligibility criteria refer to the Summer Studentship Award guidelines below.
- The applicant must be a current undergraduate or medical student registered at a recognized university returning in the fall to continue their current program. Undergraduate students graduating in spring/summer are ineligible to apply for the studentship but may apply to be part of the Summer Student Research Program as an externally (non-BC Children's Hospital) funded participant.
- The applicant must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or foreign national. Out-of province and international applicants are welcome to apply but please note the proper work/student permit and a Social Insurance Number from Service Canada is required.
- The primary supervisor must be a BCCHR Investigator at BC Children’s Hospital whose area of investigation has direct relevance to improving the health of children and families. Affiliate Investigators are not eligible as per the BCCHR membership guidelines.
- The proposed research project must have direct relevance to improving the health of children and families.
Applications will be accepted for projects that (1) include active in-person engagement in research on the BC Children’s Hospital and BC Women’s Hospital + Health Centre campus or (2) can be completed remotely within Canada, but not on the BC Children’s Hospital and BC Women’s Hospital + Health Centre campus.
Studentship holders must attend at least 75% of the Research Education Program in June & July. The start date and end date will need to planned accordingly. Studentships may be withdrawn if the applicant does not participate in the Research Education Program.
An investigator may submit only one project attached to one applicant. Students may apply for only one project attached to one investigator. Investigators must provide whatever space, supplies or resources the student requires to complete the project.
- Alternative Funding Sources
Students are encouraged to apply for all other relevant summer student awards and discuss alternative funding sources with their supervisor. Please see the Program Application FAQs for more information.
Interested in the MITACS Accelerate Program? This program provides a $7,500 matched stipend for short-term undergraduate students working on a hospital campus. Eligible faculty members can submit a research proposal supporting a new partnership with a potential student. If awarded, a matched $7,500 stipend is provided with the student receiving $15,000 for a 4+ month project.
If successful, BCCHR Summer Studentship funding can be used as part of the matched stipend. Please note the maximum stipend for BCCHR Summer Students is $6,000 for 12 weeks, the MITACS Accelerate Program requires a $7,500 match for a 4+ month project.
Submitting your Application
The deadline for submitting a complete application is Friday, January 26, 2024.
To apply, follow the steps below:
- Download and review the following documents:
2024 Summer Studentship - Application Guidelines
2024 Summer Studentship - Submitting your Application
Submit your application online. Applications for the 2024 Summer Studentship must be submitted using SlideRoom - https://bcchr.slideroom.com/.