A healthy diet complete with plenty of fruits and vegetables is an important contributor to reaching and maintaining a healthy body weight. It is also protective against many chronic diseases such as cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, and cancer.
Follow the steps below to apply for the Summer Student Research Program.
Step 1: Decide if the program is right for you
Review the detailed Program Information to make sure this is the right summer opportunity for you.
When asked why students wanted to participate in the BCCHR Summer Student Research Program, participants said they wanted to gain skills and confidence in:
- Developing research methods and formulating a research hypothesis based on a specific question
- Analyzing and interpreting data
- Conducting a literature review
- Presenting research findings, writing up research for publication and discussing research with colleagues
- Applying results to the bigger picture in their research field
Participants also joined the summer program to help them with the following:
- Develop connections with like-minded peers and mentors
- Decide if health sciences was the right career move
- Determine whether or not to attend graduate school
- Work directly with BC Children’s Hospital researchers
- Have the opportunity to spend the summer working and learning in Vancouver
- Increase their chances of getting into medical school
100% of participants polled would encourage future students to participate in the Summer Student Research Program.
Please note: for students coming from outside of Vancouver, it is their responsibility to find housing for the summer months.
Step 2: Find a supervisor
It is up to the student to contact potential research supervisors. Researchers may commit to students well before the application dates; therefore, it is strongly recommended that applicants initiate this process as early as possible
Step 3: Determine your funding source
Discuss your funding source with your supervisor. How you are funded will determine the program application you submit.
- Do you need funding? If you meet the eligibility criteria, you may be able to apply for a BCCHR Summer Studentship. The deadline for applying is Friday, January 27, 2023.
- Do you already have or will have funding? This may include a non-BCCHR summer student award, a funded co-op/directed study position, international placement or a researcher-funded position. If you have external funding, please apply for the Summer Student Research Program. The deadline for applying is Monday, May 1, 2023.
- Are you volunteering over the summer? Please apply for the Summer Student Research Program. The deadline for applying is Monday, May 1, 2023.
Step 4: Complete and submit your application form
Want to know more? Contact the Research Education Office at email@example.com.