The Canucks for Kids Fund Childhood Diabetes Laboratories aim to improve the lives of children with diabetes by advancing knowledge of type 1 and type 2 diabetes, through innovative and multi-disciplinary basic and clinical diabetes research. Research is aimed at understanding the causes of types 1 and 2 diabetes and improving treatments.
Our team brings together researchers from a variety of backgrounds – including virology, genetics, immunology, islet biology, and clinical diabetes research – to tackle this complex disease. Our investigators have extensive ties with the international diabetes research community and participate in international clinical trials for diabetes.
- The Canucks for Kids Fund Childhood Diabetes Laboratories were created in 2002 with a $9-million award from the Canada Foundation for Innovation and British Columbia Knowledge Development Fun
- Created 50 new jobs with support from international, industrial and charitable funders
- Housed at the research facilities at BC Children’s Hospital
- 12 core investigators including 4 new recruits
- In the past 5 years, diabetes investigators have supervised over 100 graduate students and post-doctoral fellows, and more than 80 undergraduates.
- Since 2009, diabetes researchers have made 7 invention disclosures, filed 17 patents (provisional and utility), and filed 2 interinstitutional/option agreements.
Registration is open! Reserve your spot today!
2nd Annual UBC Okanagan Diabetes Research Day
Wednesday, June 19, 1 pm – 8 pm
Thursday, June 20, 8 am – 1 pm
To register visit www.diabetesBC.ca to register to attend & submit your abstract.
- Abstract submission deadline: June 9 (11:59 pm)
Vancouver Diabetes Research Day 2019 will be held over two days, June 19 - 20, at the Hotel Eldorado in Kelowna BC. This exciting 2nd annual scientific day enables diabetes research trainees from across British Columbia to network, collaborate, and most importantly, present their work.
All trainees are encouraged to submit an abstract for a poster presentation or deliver a short talk. Vancouver-based trainees who register can sign up for group transportation & accommodations. Please sign up today so we know who requires travel.
There is no cost to attend this meeting but registration is required.
For more information contact:
BC Diabetes Research Network
View the UBCO Diabetes Research Day flyer.