Our focus is on understanding the development of the immune system in newborns before and shortly after birth, and to use this knowledge to improve diagnosis and prevent infections in this age group.
We currently focus our studies on the following themes:
- A system’s immunology “neonatomics” approach to study the development of the human immune system before and shortly after birth,
- The development of natural immune responses to respiratory syncytial and influenza viruses during the first year of life.
- The use of next-generation sequencing to determine the incidence of neonatal sepsis in Malawi, and to optimize diagnostic “apps”
- How inflammation affect neonatal outcomes in premature infants
- SARS-CoV-2 seroprevalence in asymptomatic individuals
- Tracking COVID-19 for safer schools