Open access (free!) full text publications
Dillon A, Austin J, McGhee K, Watson M. The impact of a “Psychiatric Genetics for Genetic Counselors” workshop on genetic counselor attendees: An exploratory study. American Journal of Medical Genetics, February 2022.
Slomp C, Morris E, GenCOUNSEL Study, Price M, Elliott A M, Austin J. The stepwise process of integrating a genetic counsellor into primary care. European Journal of Human Genetics, January 2022.
Morris E, O’Donovan M, Virani A, Austin J. An ethical analysis of divergent clinical approaches to the application of genetic testing for autism and schizophrenia. Human Genetics, August 2021.
Peck L, Borle K, Folkersen L, Austin J. Why do people upload their own direct to consumer genetic testing results to a third party website to generate polygenic risk scores for complex disorders, and how do they understand and react to results? Online Early European Journal of Human Genetics, July 2021.
Hippman C, Slomp C, Morris E, Batallones R, Inglis A, Carrion P, Brain U, Higginson M, Wright G, Balneaves LG, Ryan D, Nislow C, Ross C, Gaedigk A, Oberlander T, Austin J. A cross-sectional study of the relationship between CYP2D6 and CYP2C19 variations and depression symptoms, for women taking the SSRIs paroxetine, sertraline, citalopram, and escitalopram during pregnancy. Online Early Archives of Womens Mental Health July 2021.
Morris E, Batallones R, Ryan J, Slomp C, Carrion P, Albert A, Austin J. Psychiatric genetic counseling for serious mental illness: impact on psychopathology and psychotropic medication adherence. Psychiatry Research 2021 Feb; 296:113663
- Morris E, Hippman C, Albert A, Slomp C, Inglis A, Carrion P, Batallones R, Andrighetti HJ, Ross CJ, Dyer R, Honer WG, Austin J. A prospective study to explore the relationship between MTHFR C677T genotype, physiological folate levels, and postpartum psychopathology in at-risk women. PLOS One Dec 14, 2020.
- Sabatello M, Chen Y, Fiorella Herrera C, Brockhoff E, Austin J, Appelbaum PS. Teenagers and Precision Psychiatry: A Window of Opportunity. Public Health Genomics October 2020.
- Michaels J, Bulik C, Hart S, Doyle L, Austin J. Perceptions of genetic risk, testing, and counselling among individuals with eating disorders. International Journal of Eating Disorders 2020, 53(9): 1496-1505.
- Barnes H, Morris E, Austin J. Trans inclusive genetic counselling: recommendations from the transgender and non-binary community. Journal of Genetic Counselling 2020, 29(3): 423-34.
- Means C, Cirino A, Swenson KB, Austin J. “I am a genetic counselor”: a qualitative exploration of field leaders’ perceptions of the title “genetic counselor”. Journal of Genetic Counselling 2020, 29(1): 97-104.
- Booke S, Austin J, Calderwood L, Campion M. Genetic counselors’ attitudes toward and practice related to psychiatric genetic counselling. Journal of Genetic Counselling 2020, 29(1): 25-34.
- Gerrard S, Inglis A, Morris E, Austin J. Relationships between patient- and session-related variables and outcomes of psychiatric genetic counseling. EJHG 2020, 28: 907–914
- Folkersen L, Pain O, Ignasson A, Werge T, Lewis C, Austin J. Impute.me: An open source, non-profit tool for using data from DTC genetic testing to calculate and interpret polygenic risk scores. Frontiers in Genetics in May 2020.
- Morris E, Slomp C, Hippman C, Inglis A, Carrion P, Batallones R, Andrighetti H, Austin J. A matched cohort study of postpartum placentophagy: impact on mood, energy, vitamin B12 levels, and lactation. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology Canada, 2019, 41(9): 1330-7.
- Semaka A, Austin J. An “empowering encounter”: the process and outcome of psychiatric genetic counselling. Journal of Genetic Counselling, 2019, 28(4): 856-58.
- Austin J. Evidence based genetic counselling for psychiatric disorders: a road map. Perspectives in Medicine in July 2019.
Morris E, Best J, Inglis A, Austin J. Impact of the physical environment on patient outcomes of genetic counseling: an exploratory study. Journal of Genetic Counseling 2019, 28(4): 760-6.
- Bulik CM, Blake L, Austin J. Eating disorders genetics: what the clinician needs to know. Psychiatric Clinics of North America 2019, 42(1):59-73.
- Salema D, Townsend A, Austin J. Patient decision-making and the role of the prenatal genetic counsellor: an exploratory study. Journal of Genetic Counselling 2019, 28(1):155-163.
- Cantor A, Hippman C, Hercher L, Austin J. Genetic counselling students’ mental health: an exploratory study. Journal of American College Health 2019. 67(4), 348-56.
- Nurnberger J, Austin J, Berrettini W, Besterman AD, DeLisi L, Grice D, Kennedy J, Moreno-De-Luca D, Potash JB, Ross D, Schulze T, Zai G. What should a psychiatrist know about genetics? Review and Recommendations from the Education Taskforce of the International Society of Psychiatric Genetics. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 2018, 27;80(1), pii: 17nr12046.
- Ormond K, Wessels T, Barlow-Stewart K, Macauley S, Laurino M, Austin J, Middleton A. Genetic counselling globally: Where are we now? American Journal of Medical Genetics Part C. 2018, 178(1): 98-107.
- Morris E, Hippman C, Murray G, Michalak E, Boyd JE, Livingston J, Inglis A, Carrion P, Austin J. The SSRMI scale: development and validation of a self-stigma measure for first-degree relatives of people with mental illness. British Journal of Psychiatry, 2018, 212(3): 169-74.
- Slomp C, Morris E, Inglis A, Lehman A, Austin J. Patient outcomes of genetic counselling: assessing the impact of different approaches to family history collection. Clinical Genetics, 2018, 93(4): 830-6.
- Borle K, Morris E, Inglis A, Austin J. Risk communication in genetic counselling: exploring uptake and perception of recurrence numbers, and their impact on patient outcomes. Clinical Genetics, 2018, 94(2): 239-45.
- Chen, B, Carrion P, Grewal R, Inglis A, Hippman C, Morris E, Albert A, Austin J. Short interpregnancy intervals, maternal folate levels and infants born small for gestational age: a preliminary study in a Canadian supplement using population. Applied Nutrition Physiology and Metabolism, 2017, 42(10):1092-1096.
- Andrighetti H, Semaka A, Austin J. Women’s experiences of participating in a prospective, longitudinal postpartum depression study: insights for perinatal mental health researchers. Archives of Women’s Mental Health 2017 20(4) p547-59.
- Moldovan R, Pintea S, Austin J. The effectiveness of genetic counselling for psychiatric disorders: a meta-analysis. Journal of Genetic Counselling 2017, 26(6):1341-1347.
- Kalb F, Vincent V, Herzog T, Austin J. Genetic Counselling for Alcohol Addiction: Assessing Perceptions and Potential Utility in Individuals with Lived Experience and Their Family Members. Journal of Genetic Counselling 2017 Oct;26(5):963-970.
- Biesecker B, Austin J, Caleshu C. Theories for psychotherapeutic genetic counselling: Fuzzy trace theory and cognitive behavior theory. J Genet Couns. 2017; 26(2) 322-30.
- Hippman C, Ringrose A, Inglis A, Cheek J, Albert AY, Remick R, Honer WG, Austin JC. A pilot randomized clinical trial of the impact of genetic counselling for individuals with serious mental illness. J Clin Psych 2016, 77(2):e190–e198.
- Mighton C, Inglis A, Carrion P, Hippman C, Morris E, Andrighetti H, Batallones R, Honer W, Austin J. Perinatal psychosis in mothers with a history of major depressive disorder. Arch Women Ment Health 2016;19(2):253-8.
- Austin JC. 2020 Vision: Genetic Counselors as the recognized leaders in the integration of genetics and genomics into healthcare (Incoming presidential address). J Genet Couns. 2016. 25(1) 1-5.
- Inglis A, Koehn D, McGillivray B, Stewart E, Austin J. Evaluating the first specialist clinical psychiatric genetic counselling service: uptake and impact. Clinical Genetics 2015, 87(3) 218-224.
- Ke S, Lai L, Sun T, Yang M, Wang JCC, Austin JC. Healthy Young Minds: The Effects of a One-hour Classroom Workshop on Mental Illness Stigma in High School Students. Community Mental Health Journal, 2015, 51(3):329-37.
- Talcott-Baughman S, Morris E, Jensen K, Austin J. Disclosure of psychiatric manifestations of 22q11.2 deletion syndrome in medical genetics: a 12 year retrospective chart review. Am J Med Genet 2015, 167(10):2350-6.
- Ryan J, Virani A, Austin J. Ethical issues associated with genetic counselling in the context of adolescent psychiatry. Appl Transl Genomics 2015, 5(1):23-9.
- Austin J. The effect of genetic test-based risk information on behavioural outcomes: a critical examination of failed trials and call to action. Am J Med Genet. 2015, 167(12):2913-5.
- Inglis A, Hippman C, Carrion P, Honer WG, Austin JC. Mania and depression in the perinatal period among women with a history of major depressive disorders. Archives of Women’s Mental Health 2014, 17(2) 137-43.
- Ashtiani S, Makela N, Carrion P, Austin J. Parents’ Experiences of Receiving their Child’s Genetic Diagnosis: A Qualitative Study to Inform Clinical Genetics Practice. American Journal of Medical Genetics 2014, 164(6) 1496-1502.
- Austin J, Semaka A, Hadjipavlou G. Conceptualizing genetic counselling as psychotherapy in the era of genomic medicine. Journal of Genetic Counselling 2014. 23(6) 903-909.
- Lohn Z, Inglis A, Austin J, and Hippman C. A ‘cure’ for Down syndrome: What do parents want? Clinical Genetics 2014. 86(4):310-7.
- Hippman C, Lohn Z, Inglis A, Ringrose A, Cheek A, Austin JC. “Nothing is absolute in life:” Understanding uncertainty in the context of psychiatric genetic counselling from the perspective of those with serious mental illness. Journal of Genetic Counselling 2013 22(5) 625-632.
- Maio M, Carrion P, Yaremco E, Austin JC. Awareness of genetic counselling and perceptions of its purpose: A survey of the Canadian public. Journal of Genetic Counselling 2013, 22(6) 762-770.
- Morris E, Inglis A, Friedman J, Austin JC: Discussing the psychiatric manifestations of 22q11.2 deletion syndrome: an exploration of clinical practice among medical geneticists. Genetics in Medicine. 2013 15, 713-720.
- Yaremco E, Inglis A, Innis S, Hippman C, Carrion, P, Lamers Y, Honer WG, Austin JC. Red Blood cell Folate concentrations in pregnant women with a history of mood disorders: a case series. Birth Defects Research Part A, 2013 97(6), 416-420.
- Anderson K., Austin JC. Influencing genetic counselors’ attitudes towards people with mental illness: a pilot study. Journal of Genetic Counselling. 2012, 21: 573-81.
- Hippman C., Inglis, A., Austin JC. What is a “balanced” description? Insight from parents of individuals with Down syndrome. Journal of Genetic Counselling. 2012, 21(1): 35-44.
- Lautenbach, D., Hiraki, S., Whalen Campion, M., Austin, JC. Mothers’ perspectives on their child’s mental illness as compared to other complex disorders in their family: insights to inform genetic counselling practice. Journal of Genetic Counselling. 2012, 21: 564-72.
- Inglis A, Hippman C., Austin JC. Prenatal testing for Down Syndrome: Perspectives of parents of affected individuals. American Journal of Medical Genetics 2012, 158A (4), 743-50.
- Austin JC, Hippman, C, and Honer, WG. Descriptive and numeric estimation of risk for psychotic disorders among affected individuals and relatives: implications for clinical practice. Psychiatric Research 2012, 196(1) 52-6.